Monday, May 18, 2009

Moving Towards Freedom

On April 28th I made a big decision, one I hope to follow through with this time. I contacted my local ILC known as Independence Associates. I informed them that I would like to look into the possibility of moving out of hospital and into the community. This is something that I have attempted a few times in the past, but fear has always derailed any real progress. I am rather nervous about the prospect of leaving the security of the hospital that has been my home for nearly 2 decades, but I have to make some changes in my life if I hope to find some real happiness and a sense of accomplishment. It's hard to keep my fear at bay, but if others who have DMD and are also ventilator dependent can live independently, there is absolutely no reason why I can't do it as well. At this point, I'm waiting to meet with the people from Independence Associates. I keep telling myself that I can do it and that my life will greatly improve.